Most artists start trying to grow their email list by messing with a bunch of tools and strategies.
This is silly.
There is something more important than any tool or strategy you use.
You HAVE to be 100% clear on this before starting your list (or you’ll just waste a massive amount of time).
The thing you have to be clear on… “Why?”
Why do you want an email list?
What would be measurably different in your life if tomorrow morning you woke up and you had a list of 10,000 email subscribers who are interested in your art?
So many artists want to grow an email list.
We read blog posts. Listen to podcasts. Take courses. And buy books.
We hear things like “The money is in the list” and get all gung ho about getting our own list.
Yet no matter how much information we consume, it still seems impossible to grow a list big enough to do any good.
1 subscriber here.
3 subscribers there.
6 months later we have 30 people on our list.
But despite that massive frustration, there are some people who do it. There are some who break through and build large and profitable email lists.
Those people don’t start with strategies though.
They start by answering the question “Why?” first.
Up until just a few years ago I had NO CLUE what an email list even was.
I spent years struggling with my art.
The number of ways I tried and failed to earn from my art is limitless:
- trying to get thousands of followers on social media
- setting up shop on countless community art sites like Society 6, Fine Art America, Behance, Dribbble, Etsy, and more.
- paying for ads
- knocking on the doors of gallery after gallery
- sending out hundreds of postcards to clients
On and on and on…
I would share my art everywhere. People said they loved my work, but no one was buying anything.
Until one day I got so frustrated that I started researching what successful artists were doing that I wasn’t doing.
These were all artist who, no matter what they did, it WORKED!
- Create an art book? Sell 1,000 copies.
- Create a new print? Sell 5,000 copies.
- Created a new original? Sell it for $10,000+.
What were they doing that I wasn’t!?
That’s when I discovered the POWER of an email list.
The reason they were able to consistently do so well was that they had the ability to tell 10s of thousands of people about their new work.
They were able to send an email with a link to buy their product. And since their email lists were so big, they were able to sell $10,000+ in a matter of hours.
I decided to work towards having the same kind of art business.
My singular focus became building an email list of 10,000 subscribers so that I could create and launch my first product.
A few months later I got my 10,000th subscriber and launched the my first series of art products (originals, prints, and a small book collection of my drawings).
The framework I implemented can be used by artists no matter what kind of medium or style they have.
If you want to start your own art business, take care of your family, or live a life that doesn’t involve long commutes and frustrating bosses – then growing your email list has to be your #1 priority.
This course will start down the path to doing just that.
Your homework for today is to identify your “What?” and your “Why?”
Without a clearly defined reason for starting down this path you will quit. 100% guarantee you will quit.
I’ve personally seen 100s of my students work on their art businesses and I’ve never seen a single one build a large email list and launch a profitable product without clearly defining a reason for doing it.
IT. IS. HARD.
You’ll hit obstacles. You’ll want to quit. You’ll think the entire pursuit isn’t worth it.
But those that have a clearly defined reason for killing themselves to reach their goal…they make it. They keep working despite wanting to give up.
What is your #1 goal for growing an email list around your art?
- Is it to quit your job and make $10,000 per month?
- Is it to create your first art book and sell 5,000 copies?
- Is it to launch a new limited edition print or series of originals by the end of the year?
Why do you want that goal?
- Do you want to quit your job and make $10k per month so you can be happier, focus on creating work you enjoy and have the freedom to travel with your family?
- Do you want to create an art book because your someone told you that you never would and you want to prove them wrong?
- Do you want to launch a new limited edition print or series of originals because you want to see your art being collected by your ideal community of people?
Become a working artist
Enter your email below to join the FREE Launch Your Email List training for artists.